Friday, March 30, 2012

Merge Join transformation hangs

I have serached through this forum, and I could not find the solution.

My SSIS data flow is a simple one. Extracting two tables from Oracle using OLE DB Source , join them together using merge join and loading into a table in SQL server by SQL Server Destination.

I haven't gone through this simple procedure because Merge join always hangs there. Down to further investigation, I found one input (randomly one of two inputs) is always stuck. Sometimes the input is empty, sometimes is about half way.

Is there workround to see what is happening there and to fix this problem?

TIA

As far as I can see, Mergejoin is not the culprit, it is by design for MergeJoin to wait until it gets buffers from both inputs before it outputs. Looks to me your input(s) did not get through at your Oracle server. I suggest you to use an external tool (rowsetviewer?) to perform the same queries you put on the two OLEDBSrc inputs, to see whether it works there.

thanks

wenyang

|||

Also make sure the 2 inputs of the Merge Join are actually sorted.

Rafael Salas

|||

Hi, Wenyang & Rafael,

Thanks very much for your input.

The 2 inputs of the Merge Join are sorted by "order by" and the Issorted = true. I found the killer is the "data viewer" of the path, which shows the input data. Once I removed the "data viewer", the problem's gone. I cannot explain why.

BTW, what's the external tool (rowsetviewer)? Where can I get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment